This weekend while we honor the soldiers who serve our country so bravely, we also honor the military nurses who have made such an amazing contribution to our nation.
This year marks the 111th Anniversary of the Army Nurse Corps, the organization charged with training and deploying nurses to warzones. It was established in 1901 in response to the need for an organized military nurse structure. The Army Nurse Corps was created to effectively treat wounded soldiers during wartime. Just prior to the Corps’ inception, a deficit of nurses during the Spanish American War (1898-1902) proved that without a reserve force of caregivers, American troops would suffer dire consequences.
For over a century, these brave men and women have worked tirelessly to save lives during every American war and conflict. They continue to serve on the front lines today and rely on cutting edge technologies to treat and care for soldiers and civilians in hotspots around the world.
Earlier in the year, the Army Medical Museum was the backdrop for a Nurse Corps Anniversary celebration. Corps Officer, Col. Bruce Schoneboom, spoke to the transformation Corp’s RN’s have been undergoing in recent years in areas of leadership development, military health care and working with soldier families.
Schoneboom touched on Nurse Corps accomplishments, such as improving en-route critical care while transporting the wounded, and the development of protective gear to limit injuries to extremities.
Over the years, military nursing jobs have been a way for RN’s to challenge themselves, to heal those who most deserve it, and to serve their country. Corps nurses have played an integral role in medical advancements, including access to care closer to the front lines, advanced surgical procedures and post-surgical nursing care during wartime. Additionally, the administration of blood products during disaster relief efforts has improved survival rates on a grand scale.
Career opportunities for military nurses returning home are excellent. Because travel nursing requires practitioners to think quickly on their feet, adapt to new surroundings and work effectively under duress, a travel nursing career is ideal for RN’s with military training. Travel nurse jobs for military nurses typically pay better than staff positions and come with free private housing, free health insurance and a slew of what could best be described as “Welcome Home Benefits.” California, Texas and Florida nursing jobs may be particularly appealing to RN’s looking for a warm climate and lots of tranquil coastline. Ohio and Nevada travel nursing is also active right now, for travelers who prefer more centralized locations.
Leave a Reply
- 2009 nursing jobs
- Allied Health Careers
- Allied Healthcare Careers
- Allied Healthcare Jobs
- Ask Kristin a Question
- Bonus Program
- flu shot
- Haiti Relief
- Health Causes
- Health Tips
- Healthcare employers
- Healthcare Industry Trends
- Housing Tips
- How To tips
- Job RSS Feeds
- Medical Technology
- Mobile Job Alert
- National Nurse Week
- Nurse Career
- Nurse Certifications
- Nurse Interview
- Nursing Career
- Occupational Therapist Career
- Oncology Nurse
- Ongoing Education
- Physical Therapist Career
- Press Releases
- PT Education
- Registered Nurse
- Retirement Savings
- Social Media
- The Joint Commission
- Therapy Jobs
- Travel Nurse Documentation
- Travel nurse job benefits
- Travel Nurse Job Locations
- Travel Nurse Job Postings
- Travel Nurse Jobs
- Travel Nurse Life
- Travel Nurse Tips
- Travel Nursing
- Travel Therapists
- Travel Therapy Jobs
- Traveling PTs
- Traveling with Family
- traveling with pets
- Travelling Nurses
- Veterans Day
- Ask Kristin a Question….
- Case Management Jobs Are Trend...
- Top 10 Travel Nurse Destinatio...
- Nursing Tests Coming to a Hosp...
- Nurse-patient minimums save li...
- How do we know travel nurse jo...
- Top Five “Don’ts...
- Are you a Travel Nurse looking...
- New High – Tech Hospital...
- Crystal Blue Persuasion: How T...
- The Pros and Cons of Newer, Fa...
- Many Hospitals Are “Going Gr...
- Hospital Employers Recognize R...
- Four Traveling Healthcare Prof...
- Millions of R.N.s Will Wear Re...
- Recruitment Competition for Re...
- Travel Nurses will Enjoy the B...
- Travel Nursing Jobs are a Vita...
- CNOs Take the Lead on Sweeping...
- Getting Your Travel Nursing Do...
- Are you a Travel Nurse or Ther...
- On-Site Flu Shot Clinic a Huge...