Nursing students who are tired of hauling around heavy — and expensive – medical textbooks will be glad to learn that electronic textbooks are taking a big step closer to reality.
Software developer ScrollMotion has signed a deal with major textbook publishers, including McGraw-Hill, Random House, Wiley and Kaplan, to adapt their books for the soon-to-be-released Apple iPad.
But don’t get too excited just yet. The e-textbook has a ways to go before it becomes widely available to students in nursing programs and elsewhere.
Of course, publishers love the idea of creating electronic versions of their medical textbooks — because of the savings in printing, production and storage costs, as well as the ability to update the books virtually. And e-books have features that are particularly useful for the student, such as instant access to specific references; and brighter, more realistic graphics.
Yet, electronic health textbooks have been slower coming to market than other educational materials such as medical journals, manuals and study guides. This is in part due to e-books’ limited technical capabilities and interactivity, which has held down demand among nursing students and others. That is about to change.
As McGraw-Hill executive Rik Kranenburg told the Wall Street Journal:
“People have been talking about the impact of technology on education for 25 years. It feels like it is really going to happen in 2010.”
ScrollMotion will develop iPad applications for e-books that let students play video, record lectures, search the text, highlight text, write notes and take interactive quizzes.
The first-generation iPad, however, lacks the capability for many of these functions. Users such as RN students can’t multitask on the iPad; they can’t participate in video-conferences or virtual study groups (no camera); they can’t play Flash-based videos downloaded from the Web; and they can’t take notes (no handwriting recognition). Plus, the device isn’t cheap: at least $499, plus $30 or more in monthly user charges.
You can bet competitors are watching the ScrollMotion deal and will be quick to make similar moves. Therefore, a cheaper netbook, say, or Amazon’s Kindle DX, may end up being the e-book device of choice. Or, it very well could be a subsequent generation of the iPad that RN students find themselves hauling around. Stay tuned!
For more career advice, the Joint Commission-approved American Traveler is here to help. Check out our career resources section –- and you could go from nursing student to working RN in no time!
One Response to “RN Students, Get Ready for the Electronic Textbook”
Leave a Reply
- 2009 nursing jobs
- Allied Health Careers
- Allied Healthcare Careers
- Allied Healthcare Jobs
- Ask Kristin a Question
- Bonus Program
- flu shot
- Haiti Relief
- Health Causes
- Health Tips
- Healthcare employers
- Healthcare Industry Trends
- Housing Tips
- How To tips
- Job RSS Feeds
- Medical Technology
- Mobile Job Alert
- National Nurse Week
- Nurse Career
- Nurse Certifications
- Nurse Interview
- Nursing Career
- Occupational Therapist Career
- Oncology Nurse
- Ongoing Education
- Physical Therapist Career
- Press Releases
- PT Education
- Registered Nurse
- Retirement Savings
- Social Media
- The Joint Commission
- Therapy Jobs
- Travel Nurse Documentation
- Travel nurse job benefits
- Travel Nurse Job Locations
- Travel Nurse Job Postings
- Travel Nurse Jobs
- Travel Nurse Life
- Travel Nurse Tips
- Travel Nursing
- Travel Therapists
- Travel Therapy Jobs
- Traveling PTs
- Traveling with Family
- traveling with pets
- Travelling Nurses
- Veterans Day
- Ask Kristin a Question….
- Case Management Jobs Are Trend...
- Top 10 Travel Nurse Destinatio...
- Nursing Tests Coming to a Hosp...
- Nurse-patient minimums save li...
- How do we know travel nurse jo...
- Top Five “Don’ts...
- Are you a Travel Nurse looking...
- New High – Tech Hospital...
- Crystal Blue Persuasion: How T...
- Travel Nursing Jobs are a Vita...
- CNOs Take the Lead on Sweeping...
- Getting Your Travel Nursing Do...
- Are you a Travel Nurse or Ther...
- On-Site Flu Shot Clinic a Huge...
- Travel Nurses are Raising Awar...
- Dirty Scrub Solutions for Nurs...
- U.S. News & World Report R...
- The National Rehabilitation Aw...
- On This Special Day for Neonat...
- In Honor of Labor Day, Thank a...
- How S.M.A.R.T. Nurses Determin...