This post was written by American Traveler Staffing Professionals
Studies show that using safety techniques from the aviation industry may be the answer
According to a study based on surgical teams from hospitals around the country, safety techniques—similar to ones used by the aviation industry—cut death rates from surgery by an astounding 18%. This is compelling news for those in operating room nurse jobs and other healthcare professionals in med surg jobs, interested in the benefits of teamwork.
Known as “briefings” in the airline industry, the meetings are conducted before and after each flight, so that crews can anticipate and prepare for potential and/or future safety hazards. In a healthcare setting, “briefings” aided surgical teams in making important discoveries about the specifics of each patient’s illness or condition prior to and after each surgical procedure.
Checklists are a Must for Team Building in Surgical jobs
The aviation industry doesn’t like surprises and either should operating room nurses and professionals in med/surg jobs. So what kinds of tactics are being used to eliminate surprises, and strengthen professional relationships among the operating room team?
- Operating room nurses are asked (to learn) to recognize red flags
- Med surg and OR nurses are expected to challenge colleagues should safety risks come up
- Operating room nurses are expected to develop presurgical checklists
That last item on the bullet list resonated the most among med/surg and operating room nurses when research on check-lists appeared in a top selling book by Peter Pronovost, a doctor and safety advocate who wrote, Safe Patients, Smart Hospitals; proved using a checklist could prevent half of all surgical deaths.
Dr. Pronovost raises the point that surgery and anesthesiology have a long-standing habit of focusing on the technical; they often fail to realize that some of the harm done in surgery is happening because of teamwork failure. Healthcare professionals in surgical jobs are well on their way to achieving goals from Pronovost’s study by encouraging operating room nurses to keep an accurate and unambiguous medical chart on every patient.
Even in the advent of Health IT, when computers keep electronic files on patients, nurses must remember to “double-check” and adopt the mantra: “If you didn’t chart it, it didn’t get done.”
America’s Top Hospitals Practice Many Different Tactics that Decrease Patient Mortality
At American Traveler we staff healthcare talent—which include travel nurses qualified in a wide range of specialties, from operating room and surgical jobs to other veins of graduate nursing—in hospitals consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Awarded The Joint Commission Certification, our staffing agency works with hospitals that are committed to excellence in high quality patient care—continuously improving levels of service. Our travel nurses in med surg and operating room jobs can expect to work in facilities with lower nurse to patient ratios and enjoy a higher morale that put travel nurses on track to landing the ultimate travel nurse job; call us at 800-884-8788 or apply online today to see what we’re talking about!
Leave a Reply
- 2009 nursing jobs
- Allied Health Careers
- Allied Healthcare Careers
- Allied Healthcare Jobs
- Ask Kristin a Question
- Bonus Program
- flu shot
- Haiti Relief
- Health Causes
- Health Tips
- Healthcare employers
- Healthcare Industry Trends
- Housing Tips
- How To tips
- Job RSS Feeds
- Medical Technology
- Mobile Job Alert
- National Nurse Week
- Nurse Career
- Nurse Certifications
- Nurse Interview
- Nursing Career
- Occupational Therapist Career
- Oncology Nurse
- Ongoing Education
- Physical Therapist Career
- Press Releases
- PT Education
- Registered Nurse
- Retirement Savings
- Social Media
- The Joint Commission
- Therapy Jobs
- Travel Nurse Documentation
- Travel nurse job benefits
- Travel Nurse Job Locations
- Travel Nurse Job Postings
- Travel Nurse Jobs
- Travel Nurse Life
- Travel Nurse Tips
- Travel Nursing
- Travel Therapists
- Travel Therapy Jobs
- Traveling PTs
- Traveling with Family
- traveling with pets
- Travelling Nurses
- Veterans Day
- Ask Kristin a Question….
- Case Management Jobs Are Trend...
- Top 10 Travel Nurse Destinatio...
- Nursing Tests Coming to a Hosp...
- Nurse-patient minimums save li...
- How do we know travel nurse jo...
- Top Five “Don’ts...
- Are you a Travel Nurse looking...
- New High – Tech Hospital...
- Crystal Blue Persuasion: How T...
- Travel Nursing Jobs are a Vita...
- CNOs Take the Lead on Sweeping...
- Getting Your Travel Nursing Do...
- Are you a Travel Nurse or Ther...
- On-Site Flu Shot Clinic a Huge...
- Travel Nurses are Raising Awar...
- Dirty Scrub Solutions for Nurs...
- U.S. News & World Report R...
- The National Rehabilitation Aw...
- On This Special Day for Neonat...
- In Honor of Labor Day, Thank a...
- How S.M.A.R.T. Nurses Determin...